Re: Fwd: Philly schools April 28-29

To: Jkinser77@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Philly schools April 28-29
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:17:14
Jean,

You forgot the monthly FREE Paddock Talk online tech sessions,
where the best talent in the sport gather and share their
collective wisdom on car setup and stuff.

While we're all sharing, let me point out a few observations
of my own.  Jean has been running in my class (GS) recently,
and I've spent lots of time around her in grid at the last
few NationalSeries events.  At least once an hour, somebody comes
up to Jean and gives her an emotional "thank you" for something
that they picked up at the school.  She also gets genuinely
excited when one of her students wins, or does better than
expected.  In my opinion, this is all that she gets from the
school.  Anybody can do the math on the back of a napkin and
see that there's no fortune to be made even at $200/day tuition.

As for giving back to the autocross community, I was fortunate
enough to be at last year's Peru nationals warm-up weekend.
My napkin math says that Jean lost her shirt on that weekend,
[a sight that many would like to see!] :-)  yet she still
provided a *free* lunch on both days to all participants.
I also was sitting at her table at the Wednesday awards
banquet in Topeka.  While everyone else was partying down,
Jean was going over the Tues/Wed results and writing contingency
checks for the winners.  Yes, sitting at the dinner table!
(Some party animal, huh???)  She could easily have mailed them
out a few weeks later and enjoyed the banquet, but she wanted to
personally hand the checks out to the winners at the trophy
ceremony and congratulate them face to face.

On a personal level, I've received so much from Jean that I
couldn't possibly list it.  I have zero natural autocross
talent, and my learning curve has been steep.  At each
school or warm-up, I have learned something important though.
I credit last August's Peru warm-up with my local success
in October/November.  (Artie says Timmy and Tyson are scared!) :-)
At the Meridian warm-up last month, I figured out something about
my car and steering input that will pay dividends at our local
event site with a pin cone on every course.  When I was having a
bad day at Fort Myers last month, Jean came over to me and offered
words of encouragement when I wanted to crawl under a rock and
hide.

I am sure that I'm not alone in saying that the help that
I've received from Jean and her instructors has been priceless.
They're always available at events to answer questions
or give advice.  How anybody could slam them for trying to
help others is beyond me.

Anyway, I hope that this insight into the person behind the
"Jkinser77" AOL screen name has been informative.  Maybe
some day, we'll know something about the person hiding behind
the "REPilford" screen name and anonymously throwing rocks
at the person that has given many of us the most help of
anyone in the sport.  Who knows?  Maybe some day, you'll
be able to stand on the podium and thank Jean too.....

-Arthur ("Thanks, Admiral Kinser!!!" edition.)