Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: "JUSTIN MOORE" <91red180sx@msn.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:08:54 -0400
Justin Moore wrote in part:

>>.... There is no class where you can bring your stock
street car and be competitive. I would like to see a true stock class where
race tires are not allowed. I think you'd have a much larger retention rate
due to a much reduced cost/maintenance factor.
<<

In this theoretical class the competitive guys would take NEW expensive
street tires and shave them down to a racing tread depth of a few 32nds.
They would last about 50 runs and then need to be replaced. Just like R
tires now. Do you think that the top STS guys are running regular street
tires that they drive to events on?

The idea that it's the cost that turns off novices seems to have merit at
first blush. The reality is that NOTHING a novice will do to his car will
make him competitive. The only thing a NOVICE can do to be competitive is
learn to drive better. Then and only then need he worry about spending
money. Any street car that can pass tech inspection is good enough to learn
on. Of course like most of us a novice might FEEL that the reason he is
behind is his equipment because, after all, he KNOWS HE IS A GOOD DRIVER. So
the novice driver says things like "this sport is expensive, to be
competitive I need to buy R tires" Those of us who have been doing it for a
while know that to finish first first you fix the nut behind the wheel.

Regards,
Alan