Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: Sean Minehart <mr_two_2001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
--- Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net> wrote:
> The only one thing I have found that does make a
> difference, is someone at
> the event taking a personal interest in that novice.
> Giving them a ride in
> a fast car sure helps. Showing them what they could
> be doing eventually.
> Helping them to learn the ropes and figure out the
> arcane and unwritten
> rules of your local region. Just taking an interest
> and making a
> connection. That stuff does help for a lot of
> people.

Exactly.  I had done this once at an event where I met
a younger guy (my age) who came with his dad (who had
done track events before, but had never autocrossed).
After talking to him, I went on a run with him and
helped him drop about 3 seconds off his first time.
He praised my help for what I told him and I knew he
could still do better so I let him ride with me one
run, and he got out of the car saying "Now I know what
you're talking about."  The next run he dropped
another 5 seconds or so.  I have seen him at just
about every dry event we have had at that site since
(Although his dad doesn't bring out his RX7 TT anymore
because he was being beat by his son in a Miata).

Sean Minehart
Team Underdog Racing
http://sbc.yahoo.com