Re: minimum weight requirement

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement
From: "Brian Davis" <brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:50:36 -0500
> Well, first you have the 7" rim width limitation in ITS, whereas
> most SP competitors in the smaller cars are running at least 8"
> rims (some FWD cars run 9s on the front and 8s on the rear).

True.  I didn't mention this one, but realize it.

> Then, you have the fairly strict limitations on induction mods
> and ignition systems in IT.

Mentioned this one.  Most of these mods only help much on the very high end
anyway...

> On top of that, there's the IT
> minimum ride height.

Ahhh...I completely forgot this one!!!  That can make a big difference.
It's height is currently about as low as it can be and still have a
reasonable amount of suspension travel, by my tuning.  Although I'm not 100%
sure I measured at the right place, it was about 1/2-1/4" under the minimum
ride height.

> Typically not by much, though, since you have to add a cage, and
> you _have_ to meet the ITCS minimum weight. Your minimum weight
> is 2175 lbs.

The minimum weight I could get it to under SP rules was around 2300.  So it
is fairly significant, around 100 lbs.

> >but I get to run whatever FD I want, which should
> >close to equalize that.
>
> Not necessarily. That would depend on the suitability of the
> SP-legal FDR for autox use.

Are you referring to the fact that the same FD would not serve auto-x and
club racing duty well?  If so, I agree...unfortunately ;o)  But, my
statement was that you COULD build it pretty competitive by the IT rules.

> >It seems to me that the car fully prepped to either
> >spec would be pretty even.
>
> My money says not.

While not true for many cars, on my specific car I say it's pretty even.  I
guess I'll wait and see :o)

Brian Davis
94 del Sol
21 DSP