Re: minimum weight requirement

To: "Brian Davis" <brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:20:28 -0500
Brian Davis wrote:

>Can you clarify this for me?  I am currently building an ITS car
(Honda del
>Sol) and was wanting to run it in DSP as well.  Why will it be
>uncompetitive?

Well, first you have the 7" rim width limitation in ITS, whereas
most SP competitors in the smaller cars are running at least 8"
rims (some FWD cars run 9s on the front and 8s on the rear).
Then, you have the fairly strict limitations on induction mods
and ignition systems in IT. On top of that, there's the IT
minimum ride height. So, the IT car has less grip, less power,
and a higher CG than the same car prepped for SP. I'd say there's
no way an IT car can be competitive with an SP version of the
same car.

>It will be some lighter than I could ever get it in DSP.

Typically not by much, though, since you have to add a cage, and
you _have_ to meet the ITCS minimum weight. Your minimum weight
is 2175 lbs.

>but I get to run whatever FD I want, which should
>close to equalize that.

Not necessarily. That would depend on the suitability of the
SP-legal FDR for autox use.

>It seems to me that the car fully prepped to either
>spec would be pretty even.

My money says not.

Jay