Re: Rotary Spitfire

To: "Laura G." <savercool@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:25:29 -0500 ()
Previously, I'd mused:

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Laura G. wrote:

> Thumbs up, Andy!<G>
>
> I agree completely.
>
> Nigel is so quick on the freeway, it's scary-why would anyone want or need
> more power than that in a Spit? Unless they were to race it. I've only been
> up to 85-but, Dave and his son had Nigel up to 100+! They told me that at
> those speeds (with that power)-the car moves around. A Lot. But, were sure
> it could go faster. Never did get it up to the real red line. (When you make
> those mods, the red line on the tach is no longer true.)

Up to 100+, eh? Hmmm, reminds me of the time I was about 19 or 20. It was
late at night, and I was "racing" a friend home. He was in his Spitfire
Mk.2 and I in my Mk.3. Speeds approached...oops, maybe I won't go there
right now. [Surely, though, the statute of limitations has expired by now?
:-) ]

> All that power and Nigel has pretty much the mods that you suggested-more or
> less. At any rate, this car has twice the horsepower of a stock 1500-why,
> need more?

Don't get me wrong, everyone (else). I've nothing against MORE POWER!
(Grunt, Grunt) But each person considering this needs to look at all the
possibilities AND all the ramifications thereof. It's not too expensive to
bring a U.S.-spec. Spitfire "back" to a reasonable power output. And it
can be VERY expensive to go well beyond that. I think either is cool, and
I marvel at the thought, engineering and workmanship that goes into such a
project as Tim's Rotary Spitfire, or a V-8 Spitfire, or a "Sixfire."

> And like you, I like the sound-no, the music! of a Spitfire motor!
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Beyond all this car stuff, I'll second that last sentiment!

--Andy