RE: Rotary Spitfire

To: "'Andrew Mace'" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>,
Subject: RE: Rotary Spitfire
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:05:09 -0600

        > And like you, I like the sound-no, the music! of a Spitfire motor!

Let me just share this tidbit...

4 years ago I spectated at the SCCA National Tour event here in North
Texas.. and there was this pretty little Bugeye (yes, I know... mentioning a
Sprite on the Spitfire list.. I have no shame ;-)  competing in mod class.

When the owner fired the car I said "aha, running straight pipes on a
1275... "  and didn't think more about until he was at the far corner of the
course just eating up the track!  Something didn't just seem right so I
quizzed him when he came back in.  It was a 12A rotary with basic mods done,
and he was using 10k as his redline.

All I can say is.. quite impressive!

When the engine died in my '73 1500  (properly a "Spitfire Mk IV 1500", I've
been told) I seriously considered the rotary swap, but managed to latch onto
an MG Midget drivetrain cheap.

Jim