Re: What Have I done????

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: What Have I done????
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:05:02 -0700
Nolan Penney wrote:

> Now Joe, if you're going to bait people and then chide them for not knowing
>this engine
> has a unique finned oil pan, you're not going to keep on getting much help
>from them.

No chiding intended!  Only more information on why I am rationalizing what my
thoughts are!

> Personally, I'm surprized that you're surprized at the difficulties you're
>running into.  Of course
> the job is going to be hard.  You're ordering an engine that you don't even
>know the dimensions
> of and trying to install it into an old car.  No one else has done this
>engine swap, so you're on
> your own completely.  Your troubles haven't even begun yet.  All the
>electronic engine controls
> and such, that's going to cost you a small fortune, and you may not ever be
>able to get it right
> in a Spitfire.  So you've got many thousands of dollars to go on this
>project, and a whole lot
> more blood sweat and tears.  I've seen many projects like this finally be
>abandoned because
> of the difficulties to the impossibilities of getting it to work.  There is a
>reason you don't see
> engine conversions like what you're attempting to do.

I think your summation is rather pessimistic.  It doesn't really look that bad
to me.  I looked through the book rather extensively yesterday and it
looks pretty straight forward. There are some extra components that I will have
to figure out how to eliminate without affecting the electronics that
control the tuning of the engine.  I am considering finding out who in the
Local Honda dealership is trained on the S2000 and take him to lunch so I
can pick his brain!!!  :)

> And when it's all said and done, anyone with a rotary engine in their
>Spitfire will still blow you
> into the weeds.  For the money you're going to spend, imagine how hot a 13B
>engine you
> could have built.  And that conversion has been done before, very
>successfully, and is well known.

But then they won't be in my class, will they?   Plus, the rotary engine
suffers from pretty much the same malady that the S2000 engine does.  It
doesn't develop its power until it is well upwards into the rpm band.  (And
thanks for that encouragement!!!)  :(

Joe