What Have I done????

To: Spitfire Internet Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: What Have I done????
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:19:20 -0700
I received the manufacturer's shop manual for the S2000 today and looking at
it, I think I have taken on a much larger project than I originally
thought.

Here are some of the obstacles:

1. The oil pan is deeper at the front rather the rear as on a Spit, so it
appears that the engine will need to be shifted to the rear quite a bit to
avoid having to modify the frame cross member. This will require a lot of
additional modification to the center part of the firewall.  Nothing that is
a show stopper for a race car but for a street conversion, it would mean losing
the air box that feeds the heater (if not the heater as well)!

2. This puts the already 10" longer gearbox further back than expected.  with
that, the hand brake lever will need to be relocated rearward and the
tunnel will have to be cut out and a cover fabricated.  I don't know where
exactly this will put the shift lever, but it will definitely be well clear
of the dash!

I guess this is one of the problems with ordering an engine/transmission
without having the ability to do proper measurements beforehand.

But I remain undaunted!  However, it would appear that this pretty well negates
completing the conversion before VTR!

Joe