Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family

To: lseidman@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:13:32 -0700
Cc: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Lenny,

Good points. I can tell you for sure that they had started using the 3
aluminum finishing pieces at the top/rear of the cockpit and a 4th on
top of the windshield by #17602, late '62. But, at that point the
long-neck radiator was still being used. I am 99.9% certain these are
all the original pieces still on my car. (just had radiator rebuilt,
looks great)

My hood is not original, has the later, long bulge that extends right to
the rear edge. The early hoods also used flat bumpers at the rear
corners of the engine compartment (these were originally on my car but
didn't match up with the "cups" on the hood). Early cars, including
mine, also did not have the "safety catch" on the hood latch.

Triumph made lots of design changes during the production runs, but not
like some manufacturers... at one point we had 4 VW Jettas and Rabbits
in the family, all within 3 years. Each had a totally different fuel
injection system. One had a system that even the factory trained
mechanics couldn't identify.

I love working on computerless, injectionless, electronicless TR's! Give
me a tractor motor any day.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602