Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family

To: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Subject: Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:30:48 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Bruce

> From reading this thread I think we've determined that you have a 1961 TR4
> with most of a early 1965 TR4 body placed on it.  Couple more questions:

> 1. Does the body have chrome plated phillips-headed screws in the rear
> inner wheel arches, heads visible in the car's inside?

If you're talking about the screws that hold the inner quarter panels in
place, the ones that are present are chrome plated.

> 2. Does it have a white dash with aluminum instrument gauge cluster
> surround?

It has a white dash but the instrument cluster has vinyl on it.

> 3. Is your trunk hood held up with a prop rod or that clicking, sliding
> gizmo?

The trunk prop rod attachment is NOT the same as on my TR4A.  It is
just a little still flange that points down and in.

> My guess is that some DPO switched bodies rather than deal with rot.  When
> he did that he also did away with the early interior.  This explains the
> flip-forward seats and aluminum capping.  You will have a good search on
> you hands for some things, such as the chrome surround and trunk prop rod
> assembly.  Not impossible to find parts, just difficult!  The early TR4
> radiator was the same as the TR3B radiator.  If you want to use an earlier
> TR2/3/3A radiator you will have to elongate the frame mounting holes so
> the radiator bolts up and won't hit the fan.  Forget about crank starting
> unless you elongate the hole (now you folks know why that hole is so long
> in early TR4s - it also had to fit the TR3Bs).

I not so sure that the PO switched bodys.  I think he only switched the
comm plate.  I also think he kept the parts from each car that were in
good shape.  That would explain the later seats.  The rear metal
cockpit surround pieces, are they supposed be steel on the real early
ones?  Mine are definitely aluminum but the windscreen top piece is
steel.

Could you explain the difference between the TR3A radiator and the
TR3B and TR4 radiator?  I can't find any info or pictures on that
subject.

Any idea where I can find a picture of what the trunk prop rod looked
like?

> Good Luck!

Thanks!

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
196? TR4                CT38888LO (Chassis # 0281CT, missing OD !)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Spring shackle problems)