Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:19:40 -0400
Brad,

>From reading this thread I think we've determined that you have a 1961
TR4 with most of a early 1965 TR4 body placed on it.  Couple more questions:

1. Does the body have chrome plated phillips-headed screws in the rear
inner wheel arches, heads visible in the car's inside?

2. Does it have a white dash with aluminum instrument gauge cluster
surround?

3. Is your trunk hood held up with a prop rod or that clicking, sliding
gizmo?

My guess is that some DPO switched bodies rather than deal with rot.
When he did that he also did away with the early interior.  This explains
the flip-forward seats and aluminum capping.  You will have a good search
on you hands for some things, such as the chrome surround and trunk prop
rod assembly.  Not impossible to find parts, just difficult!  The early
TR4 radiator was the same as the TR3B radiator.  If you want to use an
earlier TR2/3/3A radiator you will have to elongate the frame mounting holes
so the radiator bolts up and won't hit the fan.  Forget about crank
starting unless you elongate the hole (now you folks know why that hole
is so long in early TR4s - it also had to fit the TR3Bs).

Good Luck!

Bruce Clough
CT2699L