Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family

To: blknwht@nwrain.com
Subject: Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 22:46:49 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> If I may jump in from void...

Glad you jumped in, the more information that comes out here the
happier I'll be.

>  The differences in the rear body tub are more than a simple matter of
> steel vs. aluminium trim pieces (I think). The sheet metal itself, I
> believe, changed. Take a look a the TRF catalog and they describe having
> to use new forward pieces of the "H" if the rear/center portion are being
> replaced on a car with comm #5642 or earlier. I'm pretty sure there was an
> actual change in shape.

Tomorrow I'll have to compare that area on the TR4 with my TR4A.  Be
interesting to see if the differences are noticeable.

>  Also concerning the bonnet, there were 3 rather than 2 bonnet variations.
> The Moss catalog points out that the short bulge hood was used on cars up
> to comm. # CT6429. I personally have only seen one short bulge hood in the
> 8 or 9 years that I've owned my TR4. At the most recent ABFM in Bellevue
> WA this summer I talked to a fellow who had one he'd sell me, the sum some
> astrnomical figure roughly equivalent to the value of my car (CT1272L).

I have yet to see a short power bulge bonnet.  I'm not going to hold
my breath trying to find one.  I'll use the best one that comes along.  If
a short one comes along I'll worry about it at that time.

>  The instrument cluster surround (as was stated before) would be plain
> dimpled aluminium on an early car, it is present on mine but I don't know
> when the change over was. I was under the impression that the later ones
> were painted but if yours is vinyl that must be what I've been seeing.

I didn't inspect the dash real close.  It just looked like vinyl.  I'll check
that out closer tomorrow and see if I can tell for sure.  I'm not certain
but I think the PO told me when he got the car the gauges were all
missing.  That might have included the dash piece also.  I do know he
spent time hunting for gauges to put in there.  I'll check with him and
see if he also had to find the dash plate.

>  Another indicator would be glass shape on the gauges. Early (up tp
> CT11307, according to Moss again) had convex rather than flat glass.

I have not seen any convex gauges myself and don't know how hard
they will be to come by.  The ones the PO came up with were the later
style with flat glass.

> Also there were supposedly 3 variations of the lower dash bracket, but some of
> the sources I've talked to say they've only seen two. My car should have
> variation one, but it's been hacked up in such a way by a DPO it's hard to
> tell.

Mine definitely has a custom lower dash bracket.  It doesn't look
anything like the pictures.  Wonder how hard that will be to find.

> One more way to tell could be the presence of a TR4 badge on the
> deck lid, but I believe our illustrious Mr. Kelly said they were dealer
> installed, so that could be a dead end.

The deck  (boot) lid currently on the car has the TR4 badge in chrome
and looks just like the ones for the TR4A but with out the A
obviously.  Didn't the real early cars have this TR4 badge?

Thanks for all your input.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
196? TR4                CT38888LO (Chassis # 0281CT, missing OD !)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Spring shackle problems)