Re: TR4/4A differences

To: pjthomas@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR4/4A differences
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:06:43 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> When you say top, do you mean the drop top or the bonnet (hood to
Detroit's).

I mean top as in "rag top" - (the cloth cover that goes over the driver and
passenger).  Brits call it the "hood."

>  I'm not sure, but I believe the TR4 (not A) has a more rounded bonnet.

Not so.  Bonnet (hood in the American dialect of English) is the same on the
TR4A as the later TR4's.  Same shape for all TR4 and 4A's - shorter hood bulge
on early TR4's.

>  TR4A's also have a wider track and 60 spoke wheels instead of the 48
narrower
> wheels of the TR4 (not A).

Not so on the track.
             TR4                             TR4A

Front    4'  1"        disk                4'  1"
            4'  2"    wire wheels         4'  1 3/4"

Rear     4'  0"        disk                4'  0 1/2"
            4'  1"    wire wheels         4'  0 3/4"

Also not so on the number of spokes on the wire wheels.  Triumph went to the
60 spoke wheels (for export) early in the TR4.  Most LHD TR4's with original
wire wheels would have had 60 spokes.

Other differences - TR4 hood (bonnet) badge is blue color but same design as
TR3 (the "open book" design). TR4A's have globe on bonnet.  Also the
overriders on bumpers are smaller for the TR4A.

As well as a larger radiator for the TR4A, the TR4A had a six bladed rather
than a four bladed fan (as on the TR4).

Cheers.

Art Kelly  '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/ factory delivery)
Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) TR4 vehicle consultant