Re: TR4/4A differences

To: Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
Subject: Re: TR4/4A differences
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:38:33 EDT
Chris, I was only trying to gently set him straight about OBVIOUS differences.
You are correct in some of what you say.  However:

> I think the six blade fan was still an option on the 4A. Here on the east
> coast, a
>  rare one at that. If anyone has one for sale, contact me immediately. ;>)

My reference shows the 6 bladed fan as standard on the TR4A.  That reference
might be wrong for the early TR4A's.  We know how Triumph liked to use up
those "old parts."

>I don't know
>  about the rad "size". No 4a rads have the long neck or hole for the crank.

The long neck and hole for the crank disappeared about the middle of the TR4
run.

> 4A's switched
>  back to SU's at some HOTLY debated point... (CTC67XXXX ?)

Right.  But it is not so "HOTLY debated."  My reference shows CT 62191.

>  Did anyone mention the parking brake? It moved to the center console.

Correct as is the fact that the center console was new.  No console was in
TR4's.

> the totally new different, chassis frame. I think two speed wipers became
standard. 83mm (2000cc) liners were no longer an option on the 4A.

Right on all that.

>All 4A dashes were wood. This was optional on 4's.

Nope.  Wood dash was standard on the last approx. (my interpolation) 10,000
TR4's.  It became standard in early '64 for US export cars.

>  Convertible tops and hardware are way different. 4A's have a "safety" latch
> on the "hood catch".

True.

> I met a guy who swears that that the original leather in his 4A is
> ALL leather, not just the seat faces. Mine aren't. Seats different.

Correct. I don't know about the leather BUT the seats LOOK different.
Actually they are the same frames.

> Door locks in handles, not  separate.

TR4 locks were in the handle.

>The center dash support is now a vinyl covered console rather than
> simply painted.  4A's are negative earth. Alt was option on 4A. (Never seen
one--
> original one with external regulator anway. )

True.

> Different jack. No holes in floor for old style jack.

True.  Although the holes are there if you look carefully.  The floor pans are
the same is why.

>  Early 4A's had "twin" exhaust. Late4a's have "transverse" single muffler. (
> not mine though, hee hee.)

Agree.

>  Different car. Everything but the engine and body tub.

I don't agree with that broad a statement.  Many differences but MANY
similarities.  Also remember I am constantly telling the list that the cars
are not the same.

>  Chris Lillja
>  Spit MkIV
>  Norton Commando
>  TR4A   << snip >>

No hassle here.  I'm just trying to keep the record straight.  Regards.

Art