Re: TR4/4A differences

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4/4A differences
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:20:03 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> > When you say top, do you mean the drop top or the bonnet (hood to
> Detroit's).
>
> I mean top as in "rag top" - (the cloth cover that goes over the driver and
> passenger).  Brits call it the "hood."

> >  I'm not sure, but I believe the TR4 (not A) has a more rounded bonnet.
>
> Not so.  Bonnet (hood in the American dialect of English) is the same on the
> TR4A as the later TR4's.  Same shape for all TR4 and 4A's - shorter hood bulge
> on early TR4's.

Sorry, I stand corrected.  The hood appears to be the same.  I have the Moss
Motoring Spring 1998 issue with the beautiful yellow TR4 on the cover.  From the
picture the TR4 seems to have a more rounded nose than the TR4A in the garage.
It
could be just the perspective of the picture.  I should have done more
investigation than before posting.

The shop manual states the overall length of the TR4A is 2 inches longer and the
overall width is 1/2 inch wider.  I incorrectly assumed the two inches was
because
of a slight body change.  What accounts for the increase in overall dimensions?

> >  TR4A's also have a wider track and 60 spoke wheels instead of the 48
> narrower
> > wheels of the TR4 (not A).
>
> Not so on the track.
>              TR4                             TR4A
>
> Front    4'  1"        disk                4'  1"
>             4'  2"    wire wheels         4'  1 3/4"
>
> Rear     4'  0"        disk                4'  0 1/2"
>             4'  1"    wire wheels         4'  0 3/4"

Now to pull a Clinton.  Technically I was I did not lie. There is a slight error
in this chart.  Should be:

             TR4                                              TR4A
                                                 live axle                 IRS

Front    4'  1"        disk                4'  1"                    4' 1"
            4'  2"    wire wheels         4'  1 3/4"             4' 1 3/4"

Rear     4'  0"        disk                4'  0"                    4' 0 1/2"
            4'  1"    wire wheels         4'  0 3/4"              4' 1 1/4"

The TR4A with wire wheels lost 1/4" front and the live axle with wire wheels
also
lost 1/4" rear.  But, the TR4A IRS wire wheels gain a 1/4" in the rear.  Phew,
had
the lawyers working on that one all night.

I remembered that something on my car, got wider.  I should have looked in the
manual before posting.  Again, sorry.

> Also not so on the number of spokes on the wire wheels.  Triumph went to the
> 60 spoke wheels (for export) early in the TR4.  Most LHD TR4's with original
> wire wheels would have had 60 spokes.

Were any delivered with 48 spokes in the States?   If so, when was the change
over?

> Other differences - TR4 hood (bonnet) badge is blue color but same design as
> TR3 (the "open book" design). TR4A's have globe on bonnet.  Also the
> overriders on bumpers are smaller for the TR4A.

Lighting switch in on the column and the rheostat move into the lighting swich
position of the TR4.

The dash support also changed between the TR4, TR4A and the TR250.

BTW, I have a TR250 dash support (yoke?) looking for a new home.  It's not
perfect, but not bad either.  Free to a good home, provided the adoptive parent
comes and picks it up.  I live in western CT (yes, there is a western and
eastern
CT).

> As well as a larger radiator for the TR4A, the TR4A had a six bladed rather
> than a four bladed fan (as on the TR4).

> Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly  '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/ factory delivery)
> Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) TR4 vehicle consultant

Applogies for the incorrect data.

Peter Thomas