New car vs. old car pollution: stats

Subject: New car vs. old car pollution: stats
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:27:25 -0600
Anyone know how much pollution is created making a new car?
Actually, I was going to ask the list, but I found some stuff online.

*My apologies for more of this peripheral topic, even w/o politics.
I don't care who invented the Internet, without it I wouldn't have the
job that paid for my Triumph.  ;-)  Thanks, Mr. Cerf et al.*

Anyway, I've wanted to be able to say that driving my Triumph
pollutes less than driving a Miata. I figured once you add up all
the pollution created from manufacturing and distribution, it
far outweighs the extra gas and lots of oil I burn. Plus no A/C,
no CFCs. And my leather seats are biodegradable -- and
clearly biodegrading. <g> Anyway, I'm thinking the
environmental cost of my Triumph should be 1/8th the cost of
driving a new car every 5 years for 40 years, right? Now you
can tell your friends *and* critics: "I'm driving my TR for you
and the health of the planet!"

Here's what I've found. *Disclaimer: I haven't checked sources.*
"A car causes more pollution before it's ever driven than in it's entire
lifetime of driving." (Cradle to the Grave, Umweltund Prognose-Institut
Heidelberg) and http://www.carbusters.ecn.cz/WCFD%20Stats.htm

The Environmental Cost of One Car

                    Extracting Raw Materials:
                    26.5 tonnes of waste
                    922 cubic metres of polluted air

                    Transporting Raw Materials:
                    12 litres of crude oil in the ocean
                    425 million cubic litres of polluted air

                    Producing the Car:
                    1.5 tonnes of waste
                    74 million cubic litres of polluted air

                    Driving the Car:
                    18.4 kilos of abrasive waste
                    1,016 million cubic litres of polluted air

                    Disposing of the Car:
                    102 million cubic litres of polluted air

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO