Re: New car vs. old car pollution: stats

To: Rich Scotti <Rich@scotti.com>
Subject: Re: New car vs. old car pollution: stats
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:39:57 -0400 (EDT)
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
A bit of a run-on, but...

When I got my TR-3A, my father said how unreliable these sports cars were
supposed to be, and how expensive they were to repair.  Why didn't I get a
few-year-old Ford or something.  He drove a fairly new Buick.  We compared
maintenance records over the next few years, and on almost every point,
from gas milage to parts costs, the TR was cheaper.  The one main
difference was in the transmissions.  The Dreaded PO had trashed first in
my car, so it would not stay in first, and that cost a pretty penny, but
pay-back came when a few years later the Buick's trans went South, and it
cost about 20% more to be repaired than the TR's had cost!  I might point
out, the TR's trans never needed to be fixed again, either!  My father
sold the Buick a few years later.....

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Rich Scotti wrote:

> I couldnt resist. A guy in the office tells me his Miata is everything my TR
> was supposed to be. I shared the previous thread with him and heres what he
> came up with.

James A. Ruffner