RE: New car vs. old car pollution: stats

To: <erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu>, "Rich Scotti" <Rich@scotti.com>
Subject: RE: New car vs. old car pollution: stats
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:56:21 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

I usually drive a '95 GMC K2500 pickup and the maintainence cost, GAS PRICES
and hard to trace minor problems have made my little TR the more reliable
vehicle.

A couple of comparisons FWIW:

- It costs me about $90cdn a week on gas for the pickup.  It has been
costing me less than $20cdn for the TR. I get the same distance out of both.

- The pickup has been in the shop 7 times in the last 6 months to try and
trace down a intermittent stalling problem.  After replacing 4 components
and all of my wasted time they finally dealt with it.  The bill for all of
the work ( not including my time ) would have been $900cdn if not for
warrenty.  The wiper motor on the TR would not park properly, last night I
took it out pulled it apart lubricated the switch, replaced the grease (
dried and gungy ), all back together and now work per spec.  10 cents in
grease and 1 hour of time.

- Had to replace the battery in the TR and the pickup.  The TR I pulled the
old one out and put in the new one, fired up the engine and went for a
drive.  The pickup, for some reason there was a hiccup in the hooking up of
the battery and must have reset one of the onboard computers which didn't
allow it to start for TWO days.

In conclusion, the pickup has its place but the reason for getting it int he
first place cause it was a "newer, more reliable" vehicle!?!?!?!  Besides
the TR is a hell of a lot more fun to drive!!  Boy, I wish I could drive the
TR a year :-)

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.
        Waterloo, ON
        Canada
        WebSite: http://trandmustang.homestead.com

'74 Triumph SpitSix '66 Ford Mustang (Wife's)'66 Ford Mustang GT (Project 2)
'59 Triumph TR3a (Project) '99 GMC Safari '95 GMC K2500 Sierra