RE: Kas Kastner's NEW competition book for Christmas

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kas Kastner's NEW competition book for Christmas
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:52:33 -0800
> Okay, Randall; you got me there. But to that I say we should
> change the "rules".  I made my small monetary contribution this
> year to the Major who maintains these lists. As such,  I feel
> "entitled" to opine that a referendum (being from California I'm
> sure you are familiar with that process) might result in rules
> that reflect the majority wishes of those for whom the lists
> serve.

Bob, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  However, I don't agree
with you.  As I said before, I feel that there needs to be a definite limit
to commercial posts on this list.  And while I might prefer that MJB had
taken a slightly more liberal tone in setting the guidelines, I don't feel
it's appropriate to ask him to change them.  After all, unlike California's
circus, er, I mean political process, this is by no means a democracy.  It's
rather more of a benevolent dictatorship as far as deciding what topics are
appropriate, and who is allowed to use the list(s).

> Given a vote on the topic, I'd bet most list members would
> not object to commercial messages under the condition that the
> subject line identify it as such.

Possibly true ... but why offend the minority who do object.  There are at
least some on this list who pay for their Internet connect time by the
minute, what about them ?  And, I'll also say that my email in-box runs
close enough to my ISP's limit that I sometimes miss desirable email ...
adding a slew of commercial messages to that will definitely cause me
problems.  I suspect it will for others as well, even if they don't know it
yet.

> Assuming you don't mind, Randall, I think everyone should e-mail
> their vote on this topic to you and you - as a "senior" member of
> the list - can report the findings, okay?

Sorry Bob, but I decline.  Granted our dictator wouldn't likely shoot the
messenger ... still it's an uncomfortable position to be in <G>

You're welcome to do it ...

> I vote to allow commercial messages concerning British car parts,
> accessories, sale promotions, etc.

I vote to keep the guidelines as they are currently stated.

However, assuming anyone has read this far, I'd like to present a
counter-proposal :
How about a new list, devoted only to "Triumph autojumble", ie Triumph parts
new or used, for sale or wanted ?  Would that work any better than the
current "autojumble" list, which almost never has any posts at all ?

Randall