Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>, <PaxsACR@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:54:35 -0600
>> Why not allow any size wheel diameter in Stock?
>
>Because then everyone would have to buy lots of wheels and tires in
>order to test all the possibilities?
-------------------------
Umm, and that's not currently being done in Stock Class with tires and
shocks and swaybars and timing settings and brake pads and oil viscosities
and different octane gas and exhaust systems anyway?   ;^)

>Because then the guy off the street would be that much further from the
>ideal setup?
------------------------------
And the rest of us aren't?  There are no absolutes in setup from car to car
and driver to driver.  Sure, there are a lot of already tested ideas that
are proven to work but there's always something new that gets discovered and
helps lower times that much more.

>Because it just doesn't make much sense?
----------------------
To, you, this time?

>> ... I think the same arguments used to allow any shock could also
>> apply to wheel diameter.
>
>Wheels are a wear item?
------------------------
Actually, in the long run, yes.  Brake dust eats at 'em, racing stresses
'em, constant mounting and unmounting wears out the little holes and they
just plain go out of fashion.   ;^)

>> Anybody that is serious about this sport buys another set of wheels
>> anyway.
>
>So they have a set of factory wheels they can use for race rubber, and
>they can use their new wheels for the street.
--------------------------
Or the other way around.  Who amongst us doesn't have at least another whole
set of wheels?  Everybody that's serious does.  What's the price difference
between say a 14"x6" wheel and a 15"x6"?  Maybe $20.

>I'd much rather remove the aftermarket wheel allowance altogether!
>
>Mark
---------------------------
Oh, yeah, okay.  And who's gonna tell all the FS, GS (6 bangers) and HS (4
poppers)guys with early Mustwangs that they still have to run those crappy
390mm metric wheels?  Oh wait, (pay attention Scotty) there is no good
rubber for those 390mm wheels so we're back to square 1.

Sorry but I think that Pax's idea has at least some merit to it.  And it
would stop Scotty from getting typing finger cramps today.   ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T