Re: Hi New to the List

To: SunRider@Worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>

>I'm considering the Bridgestone RE-71's or the Toyo
T1-S to
>replace the Pilots which will be fried by next year.
>The Toyo's are really too new but how are the RE-71's
>chunking and flat spotting?

<brag>
FWIW I placed second in street tire class at the
Southwest Divisionals at Mineral Wells, TX on
195/50-15 RE71s, behind a M3 on big Pilot MXX3's (hi
Steve!).  About 8000 street miles, no chunking at all
(and the pavement was measured at 133 degrees!)
</brag>

Dunno about flatspotting as I have ABS; this
particular size is very light (18 lbs) so it might be
prone to locking up.  For $67 apiece the bang for buck
is unbeatable.  It could even be a sleeper Street
Touring tire...check out
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/oldies_rd.htm>
for RE71 track results vs. the SP8000 and AVSi.

Toyo T1-S are supposed to be fabulous but they're a
lot pricier.

>I was told I should shave the R compounds as they
will chunk
>esp. the Kuhmo's but that's why I'm here to learn. :)

naah...Kumhos won't chunk on a Miata even in Texas in
summer.  ('less you're road racing...)  They *will*
flatspot, however, as our class winner last Sunday
found to her chagrin...

hth,
Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX