Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:09:36 -0700
Rocky Entriken wrote:
> IF THEY DO NOT, then if someone shows up....... He earned that championship
>just as
> surely as if he'd beaten 100 drivers to win it.

Sort of like does a tree falling in the forest make a sound, if nobody
is around to hear it...

What is interesting about the term "competition" is that it is defined as
involving somebody else.  If nobody shows up you are simply not competing.
Now if you want to call it something else, like a "demonstration" then
maybe everybody is entitled to getting a trophy for making a good demo.
But don't call it getting a trophy for competing.

> He ran the events. He put forth the best effort in that class. He was there
> and ready to take on all comers. Nobody did it better. So now some
> idealistic individuals who are NOT EVEN IN HIS CLASS want to put him down
> and say he should not received a trophy?

Every entrant has the option to seek out a competitor at the event.  Nobody
says they HAVE TO run by themselves.  They can bump themselves to the next
class in the rule book so that they could have some competition (see above)
but they CHOSE NOT to do that.  Why?  Because they might get beat by a
supposedly better car?  Hmmm...

> About the only thing a hosing like this does is discourage that
> one-car-class guy even more and then, soon, you lose him too. Because now
> you even take away the pure fun of just going out and driving the best he
> can. That's supposed to be all we are here for, the fun. Don't screw that
> part up too with a bunch of bureaucratic BS.

So, someone gets pissed and leaves because they have to be bumped to class
where they loose all the time; and we call that a shame.  On the other hand
when a person in a poorly classed car that always gets beat complains,
rather than provide them a class of their own they are told that's the way
it is and they can leave if they don't like it.  Isn't that sort of selective
as to who can "compete" in their own class?  Ooops, I forgot, one person
is supporting one of those "blessed" classes; and the other is not.

If fun were indeed the main ingredient of this sport, and bureaucratic BS
is a bad thing, then why do we have an ever-expanding rulebook with
more and more restrictions?   And why does it take an act of God to get
a car re-classed or get a new class established, such as is finally in
process for SP?

Mark