Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?

To: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?
From: "Rick Brown" <Free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:17:07 -0700

>How can anyone (by anyone I mean Mark Daddio, John Thomas, etc.)
>be so far ahead of the rest of their class?

Basically they make fewer mistakes than the rest of us ( I don't believe
anyone can make a "perfect" run) and probably have the ability to view and
understand what to do on course quicker.  And lots of experience helps.
Also I believe some people just have natural talent.  I had a student in an
autocross school once (I had about 20 years experience at the time) who had
not done any kind of racing before although he drove the same type of car as
I did.  He followed what I told him to do and took corrections in stride.
By the end of the weekend he was approaching my best times and the next year
he was winning our local series.  Did quite well at the national level, too,
but has moved on to higher levels of racing now.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z