RE: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?

To: "AutoX List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?
From: "Karen Christoff, Ph.D." <pykac@olemiss.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:29:58 -0500
As one who drives the same Honda as John Thomas, I feel compelled to jump in
here.  I agree that, in theory, every _car_ has a maximum potential.
However, as someone else has said, I don't think anyone, not even John or
Mark, ever reaches that potential in the context of an autocross.  Perhaps
they could, given an unlimited number of runs on a given course, but it just
doesn't happen in three runs (or even 12 as in ProSolo).  I've seen both of
these guys go faster over the course of an event and expect that they could
go even faster given more runs.  Back when there was a viable P class in
ProSolo and John made most challenges, he often "broke out" during the
challenge runs.  Not, contrary to popular opinion, because he was
sandbagging.  Rather, because he was learning the course and getting better
with practice.  We all do this, it's just that some of us improve in more
dramatic ways than others.

I can't speak for (or about) Mark with as much authority, but John is just a
naturally talented and athletic person.  His sense of timing far surpasses
that of most mortals and underlies his success at most physical endeavors.
He plays golf and baseball very well and I witnessed him mastering stunt
kite flying in a matter of less than an hour (Tom and I spent weeks getting
to the same point he did in a single session).  He's one of those people you
almost have to hate because they do everything so very well and so seemingly
effortlessly.  He always drives on the edge, which is where you need to be
to go fast.  If you watch him drive, it is apparent that he pushes the car
more than Tom does and _far_ more than I do.  He's just good.  That's all
there is to it.  Any of us could, in theory, be as good as the real fast
guys if we practice enough.  That's theory.  Reality is different.

Howard has, on several occasions, said that he thinks there are few drivers
with natural talent.  John is among these, as are Mark, Randy Pobst, Brian
Priebe, and Tasha.  Most of these people could jump in any car and beat the
owner by a wide margin on their first run.  I wish I knew how they do it.
I'm just glad that John has chosen to drive our Honda for as long as he has.
We make little tweaks to the car each year and John gets even faster.  He
has shown us all just how fast an old Honda (prepared by a psychologist and
a plant manager, no less) can go.

Karen Christoff