Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?
From: "Mike and Lara King" <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:09:09 -0400
Not to speak for Mark or anything, but he basically has done the same thing
he has done at every other Nationals and that's to be one step ahead of
everyone else. He has taken what's there in the rules and maximized
everything and made the car work. At the end of the Pro Finale, I looked at
my times and compared them to P6 (I was running in National Series). I would
have been DFL in P6 if I were running in it. I couldn't figure it either how
Daddio could be so much faster. I had a chat with him and he gave me a
simple tip (sworn to secrecy, sorry!). I went out during my first round of
the challenge and ran 1.3 seconds faster. That would have put me right
behind Daddio in P6 (a jump of 12 positions in P6). I really didn't try any
harder, but it's basically something that I missed and everyone else had
missed as well. I thinks it's come down to some of us testing and finding
the secrets and then most of us listening too much to what everyone else is
doing. I'm guilty of this as well. Hey, I lost the Pro Finale because of it.
Certainly, talent plays a big difference in the times as well, which Mark
has as well. So combining both the driver and car preparation, it yields
extraplanetary results...

--Mike King