Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?

Subject: Re: The Daddio factor, or how can anyone be that fast?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:03:54 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com wrote:
> I would argue this point.  If you really feel like with enough runs, you could
> match or beat anyone, then practice is the key ingredient.  Lets say that Mark
> Daddio ran a 55.0 after 3 runs.  You start at a 59.0 after 3 runs.  If you run
> 20 more runs and get down to a 55.5 or a 56.0, what you have done is learned
>how
> to go faster.  You should be able to translate that knowledge into a smaller
>gap
> in future events after only 3 runs.
..
> Getting to 100% usage by the first corner, and staying there, is what makes
> great drivers great.  I would bet any amount of money that a Daddio won't
> improve more than half a second from his 5th try to his 10th try.  Why?  They
> know how to go fast BEFORE their first run, not after their first couple of
> tries.

I think you and I are "violently agreeing" as an old co-worker used to
say... :-)

I agree with you all the way.  Bear in mind that while I think I can go as
fast as anyone with enough runs on a particula course, I also know that I
wan't see that course again and (most) of that process must start again.

Like I said, I'd love to know how Daddio, Leverone, Strano, etc. etc.
(basically any of the 30 or so top folks) know how to hit close to 100%
on their first run.  Practice & general seat time is a huge part of it..
but I don't think its everything.  I honestly expect that there are both
physical and mental factors that differentiate them from me.  My goal is
to maximize the differences that help me, and minimize those that hurt me.
If anyone knows the 6 step program to accomplish that, please let me know
:-)

Mark

(gag me.  I feel like we should all hold hands around the fire and chant
or something.. :-)