RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Subject: RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:08:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Phil Osborne wrote:

> Are you saying that they will only allow X number of drivers per event?
>  Must be nice to have more than you can handle...DC must be a hot bed of
> autocrossing.

That's exactly what he's saying -- events here are capped between 100 and
150 drivers, depending on the site and which club (there are several, and
they take turns) is running the event.  I think that's driven by the
conditions established by the site owners (most of the time we're
running on Federal or municipally-owned sites), which in my prior
experience, tend to be pretty strict on closing things down on time.

In the four years since I moved here, I've never seen an event that
didn't fill up and have a waiting list to boot -- since the introduction
of on-line pre-registration last year, some events fill up within a day
or two!  On the other hand, the event chairs make every effort to get
walk-ons -- especially newbies -- a spot on the grid, even if it means
adding an extra slot or two.

As car-unfriendly as this area is, it *is* a hotbed...go figure!

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr