RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: "posborne@minuteman-ups.com" <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>,
Subject: RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:05:41 -0500
At 10:42 AM 9/24/99 , Phil Osborne wrote:

>Brian again:
>Does Texas Region want more or less?  Should DC events drop the
>limit, but reduce runs or go to a further site?  Should we really
>try to get to 1K at 2K Nationals?
>
>I think its an interesting debate question,
>
>Brian
>
>Brian, I agree that it is an interesting debate question, but I also firmly
>believe Regions should attempt to accomodate all comers, and not turn
>anyone away if they arrive on schedule.

I agree with that... I certainly wasn't promoting a program to exclude
anyone who wanted to join in the fun!  Just wondering about the default
assumption that we should always be trying to get more and more
participation.

For example, you can focus money and effort on getting more people to
participate; or you can focus that money and effort on making the events
more enjoyable for those who come (and that may or may not boost
participation over time, but that's not the target either way).  We
can focus on getting 1K in 2K, or focus on the 900 who come already,
there families, etc... and let the effects on participation over time
occur as they may.

I have no opinion here, just playing out the other hand,
purely out of curiosity at what the answers might be,

Brian