Re: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Subject: Re: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:10:58 -0400
Phil Osborne wrote:
> Brian, I don't know how long it's been since you have been to a Texas
> Region event, but since I have been at the helm of the program, nearly
> 3 years now, we always allow 4 runs.  Yes, that does take longer,
> especially at sites like Mineral Wells where course times can and do
> average 70 to 80 seconds, and they are usually good challenging
> courses.

Why does it take longger at Mineral Wells?  I've never been to a Texas
Region event, mind you, but big sites should make it easier to have a
shorter event, not the other way around.

At big sites, it's easier to design a course with good, safe 20-second
starting intervals than it is at a small site.

The length or challenge of a course should have absolutely nothing to do
with how long the event takes to run.  Once again, all that matters is
what time the first car leaves the start, the starting interval, how
many course walk/worker changeover breaks you take, and how long those
breaks take.  Length of the course does not factor in at all.

Mark