RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>,
Subject: RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:44:28 -0500
At 08:49 AM 9/23/99 , Phil Osborne wrote:
>Are you saying that they will only allow X number of drivers per event?
> Must be nice to have more than you can handle...DC must be a hot bed of
>autocrossing.
>
>Phil O.

Phil,

Some of us (though I am sure not all of us) might argue that
the Texas Region has more than they can handle.
The autox's take all day, each driver gets only three runs, no fun runs,
less opportunity to drive with others, less opportunity to learn and
improve.  If we did a big promotion and doubled attendance, then what?
We'd drive into the night and each driver would get only two runs?

My point?  Back to the original "new debate question", there's some
number of drivers that is too small -- and some number of drivers that
is too big.  Where are we now?  Too small or too big?

For example, I'll often go out to SpeedZone, be the only driver there,
get lots of drive time with no lines.... but have only the operators
to talk with and be worried about SpeedZone shutting down.  Too few
drivers.

But other days I'll go out, see hour long lines at courses, and
turn around and leave.  Too many drivers.

So, what's the right number?  Do we really want more?
Does Texas Region want more or less?  Should DC events drop the
limit, but reduce runs or go to a further site?  Should we really
try to get to 1K at 2K Nationals?

I think its an interesting debate question,

Brian