Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:17:34 -0500

Gemery@aol.com wrote:

> BTDT and will likely do so in the future.  1994-97 I had a Miata R (oh, yah,
> another of those sore subjects) and put 45,000 miles on it.  At least half of
> those miles were on Yokohama A008RSII and BFG R1 tires, with the remainder on
> the factory tires.  If I didn't have such a radical camber alignment, the
> street use wear would have been much better.  All sets of R tires, under
> these conditions, even managed 80+ autox runs each.  Basically, at around
> 50-60 runs on the set, I would start using them for street use, too, until
> they wore out.  Oh, and often they were shaved to 4/32" before use.  I think
> it was 3 or 4 sets in those 3 years.

That's impressive wear, you must be one of those "easy on tires"
drivers. (no, I'm not trying to imply that you're slow)  I tossed around
the idea of running an R-tire as a full-time street tire for a long
time.  Following a friend (who was on R1's) home from an event in
Oklahoma in the rain at 45-50 mph sort of made me think that this might
not be the best idea.  I know the answer is just "slow down when it's
raining", but I don't like to slow down THAT much.

I've heard of many people who have run R-tires on the street. (some of
you may recall that I asked that question some time last year)  I guess
I'm just too paranoid.  (not just of rain, but of having to explain them
to a cop if I got stopped for speeding... not that I ever speed)

> Yes, there were occasional scary moments in heavy rain, but readily handled
> by an experienced driver.  Even drove in snow (yuck, no traction!).

The Pirellis are bad enough in Kansas winter, I wouldn't want to think
about an R-tire!

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca