Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:06:17 -0500

"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> But AVS's with 2/32" of tread are a lot better, right?

I would think so, yes.  Any of the big 3 R-tires lose their tread
pattern (you know, that holographic stuff) very quickly and only have
like two circumferencial grooves left.  An AVS with 2/32nds still has a
tread pattern that is capable of evacuating SOME water, even if it isn't
much.

> I wonder how many "serious" folks don't run ST precisely because the tires
> are an unknown and expensive quantity?

I don't know.  If we implement some method of cost control (exclusion
list, spec tire, higher treadwear, whatever), maybe we'll find out?

> I wonder how many folks oppose
> having ST & STR (which differ only in what rubber you put on the rim)
> simply because they feel there are already too many classes.

Quite a few.  And I can see their point.  It's more work to manage more
classes.  In some cases, it may be worth the effort.

> You're welcome to your opinion that street tires rule.  But please don't
> presume to tell me that I can't have an opinion simply because I don't run
> your class, particularly if some dorky street tire rule is one of the
> reasons why!

I'm not saying that you can't have an opinion.  Understand that I
started this thread looking for ways to improve the class.  If your idea
of improvement is to abolish the class on the National level, I'm not
interested in your opinion.

> Not that I have an opinion. :-)

Everyone has an opinion.  I only wish that EVERYONE didn't have an
opinion on ST.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca