Re: ST tire options

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:08:47 EDT
Loren wrote:
>If you had ONE car, and had to drive it EVERY DAY, would you feel
>comfortable leaving these tires on the car from spring until fall?

BTDT and will likely do so in the future.  1994-97 I had a Miata R (oh, yah,
another of those sore subjects) and put 45,000 miles on it.  At least half of
those miles were on Yokohama A008RSII and BFG R1 tires, with the remainder on
the factory tires.  If I didn't have such a radical camber alignment, the
street use wear would have been much better.  All sets of R tires, under
these conditions, even managed 80+ autox runs each.  Basically, at around
50-60 runs on the set, I would start using them for street use, too, until
they wore out.  Oh, and often they were shaved to 4/32" before use.  I think
it was 3 or 4 sets in those 3 years.

Yes, there were occasional scary moments in heavy rain, but readily handled
by an experienced driver.  Even drove in snow (yuck, no traction!).

George "so there!"  Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery