Re: ST tire options

To: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:12:34 -0700

"B. Vibert" wrote:

> I haven't removed my Toyo RA-1's from the car in over a year. They are getting
> a little scary in the rain though. I do drive the car on the street quite
>often
> and to events without changing as well.

Finally removed my RA1s for street use yesterday. We have had some
sprinkling in San Diego, and my new daily drive (taking a child to a
school 20 miles away) requires I have tread in the rain. But, I had been
driving on them for months. Sure is nice not to have to swap rims
before/after an event.

> It's mainly just the Hoosiers and BFG-s that wear and heat cycle too quickly
> that you don't want to street drive.
> As for being competitive, did anyone try Toyo's at Nationals?

If I could have went, I would have used them, since they seem to do okay
on concrete, as long as it's warm enough. Locally, I have been doing
very well on the Toyos. Lasty two practice events, my times were right
there with the fastest BS cars. My experience with Toyos is that they
get very fast right before they cord, which they did last event. 45 runs
in one day will do that on old tires. 8-)

Having said all that, I will be switching tires soon. I think the Toyo
is an underrated tire. It wears well. It is well priced. It is easily
available in the correct sizes for me. But I also think it is tough to
do well on them if it's cold out (Atwater Pro Sunday 1999), or if the
surface is slippery to start with (San Berdoo Pro 1999).

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS (soon to be back on those other tires)