Re: ST tire options

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Steve Couture <stevecouture@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
Loren Williams wrote:
--
When you're talking about D Stock, where everyone has the same car, same
setup, same tires, perhaps different paint schemes <grin>... there is no
doubt about which factor in the equation was responsible for a win.
--

Then I pointed out:
--

To which Loren replied:
--

Loren,

Now you have me confused.  Where did all this "the car" stuff come from?
This thread is about tires.  You were whining and moaning about how a spec
tire should be selected for the ST classes to remove the competitive
variablilty different tire brands introduce to the street tire classes.
You then used DS as an example of a class where everyone uses the same
tire, setups, etc.

I was simply trying to point out that your generalization about DS simply
isn't true.  Even in a class dominated by a single car model there are a
lot of variations in the things you mentioned.  That was my point.  Sorry
you missed it.

Now back to the topic of tires.  If you truely feel that a spec tire is
needed to make the ST classes fair, how can you make a statement like, "as
far as I'm concerned, any of the big-3 are the same tire" (refering to the
BFG, Hoosier, and Kumho R-tires I presume) and expect to be taken
seriously?  To make that statment while arguing that certain brands of
street tires may provide enough competitive advantage in ST that they need
to be legislated seems hypocritical to me.

Taking the spec-tire argument to another extreme, I can see where even a
spec tire isn't fair since it will favor the driver who's driving style or
vehicle most closely matches the capability of that particular tire.  Or
is this just "semantics" to you?  I very srongly believe it should be up
to the individual to determine what tire or tire size (within the
established rules) is the best one for their particular car, driving
style, setup, conditions, etc.

When it comes to tires I am most definately pro-choice!  And you can
extend that position to cover the whole R vs. street tire debate. (But not
necessarily to any other issue... let's not go there!)

--
Steve Couture
#57 DS Neon ACR
Kumhos - they work great for me, may not work for you.
Looking forward to the 225-50-14!