Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: gpsoftware@icehouse.net
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: Eric W Clements <ewc4@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:48:13 -0400

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:32:50 -0700 "GPSoftware" <gpsoftware@icehouse.net>
writes:
> Eric,
>
> I'm not quite sure why you might think the computer based system
> would be worse than a stand-alone if the problems are mostly caused by
> triggers or  wiring (which I agree is usually the case).

My experience with computers and timers tells me computers are less
reliable.
When was the last time you've heard " the timer crashed ! " ? Our club
timer
has never had a problem (excluding triggers/wires) except operator
error...
which takes me about 30 seconds to fix (take off helmet,unbuckle,walk to
timing van,
flip one cell/two cell switch). Computers often have problems and when
they do
they take longer to fix (out comes the stopwatch)

> Accucros has been on the market for two years and while not fault
> free has proven very reliable.

The software could be perfect but your still using a computer to run it.
To me using a computer as a timer is like driving your car 100 feet
to get the mail, why complicate a simple thing ?

> A couple of users that put together triggers
> themselves have had problems only at initial startup and we have
> always been able to get the problem solved. There have been no reported
problems
> with systems where I supplied the triggering hardware.

All systems have triggers so we don't need to talk about them.

> If you don't already have a stand-alone timer, it's pretty hard to
> beat the value of Accucros or any other computer based timing/scoring
system.

Unless you have to buy a computer and generator to go with the software.

Eric