Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:13:53 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> > My experience with computers and timers tells me computers are less
> > reliable.  When was the last time you've heard " the timer crashed ! "
>
> The problem there is that you're running the wrong OS. If there was
> timing/scoring software for Linux (which I may just well write this winter)
>then
> crashes would be a thing of the past. And as an added bonus, you could use
>cheap
> obsolete hardware (like 386s) that most regions could afford, instead of
>having
> to have the latest generation gigahertz processor so you can play ^%&$&
> Solitaire.
>
> Not that I have an opinion or anything. ;)

I don't either, and this will be my last post on this subject, I
promise... :-)

The problem isn't which OS you're running, the problem is either that your
computer's hardware is crap or that the OS / software you're running isn't
configured correctly.  I've seen DOS machines that would crash every 10
minutes and ones that never crashed.  Same with windows 3.1.  Same with
'95 & '98.  Same with NT.  Same with Linux (after you figured out how to
install it that is.  See?  Told you I didn't have an opinion :-).  Same
with solairus (or howeve ryou spell it).

I'll stand by my ground that computer based systems can be just as or
nearly as reliable as dedicated hardware, with a ton more functionality
built in.

Mark