Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: "Alex Dresko" <adresko@3pointoh.com>, "'Scott Meyers'" <solo2@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:28:37 -0500
>If you're in a stock class, your car should remain STOCK! If you have to
get
>new tires, that are in any way, shape, or form better than the oem tires,
>you move up a class. You can, however, get new tires with the same size,
and
>ratings as the OEM tires and still remain in teh stock class, thus fixing
>the RE71 issue.
>
>What's so hard about that?

What tire rating do you use?  Speed rating?  Treadwear?  I don't think you
can solve the RE71 issue without making tires open within specified bounds.
It is almost impossible to dictate what tires are better in any way shape
or form, and I propose that issues such as these would make 'pure stock'
more difficult to police than what we have.

>I don't put up a big fuss when I have to move up
>a class and I would look upon anyone who did as childish. It's just a race.

Well, it's not a race, but that's a fight I lose with just about every one I
try
to convince.  Solo II is not racing.  To have the two as interchangeable in
your vocabulary is a bad thing IMO and could hurt you and your club in the
long run.

My point on tires was that eventually you can't keep a car 'pure stock' and
there need to be bounds to allow you some latitude at that point.  Once you
set such bounds, you are no longer 'pure stock' and that's why I don't think
such an idea will work.

David Hawkins
pure street prepared and modified