Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: Ross Fortini <ross.fortini@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
[Apologies if this was mentioned previously in this thread--just rejoined
the mailing list last week after a hiatus. If so, please ignore me publicly
and flame me privately.]

I've always been intrigued by the approach that Midwest Council of Sports
Car Clubs has for perf mods and car classification. For those few who might
not know, it assigns a point value to each type of modification, and classes
a car based on the total number of points for all the mods on that car.

One knock I've heard is that it's harder to police than our current
approach, though I still can't quite understand why (nothing new for me).
Also, assigning a fixed point value to a particular mod assumes it is
equally "valuable" to each car's overall performance--though from that
perspective it is still more flexible than the current fixed list of
acceptable mods for ALL cars in the category.

I was just thinking that my Gee Stock Mitsubishi Eclipse (now retired--and
for sale, by the way!) would have been more competitive against the Type R
if I could have used camber plates on the car...and I might have foregone
adjustable shocks or a performance exhaust in order to do so.

My concern with a "pure" stock class approach is that it will make
appropriate classification of each make/model the one and only mechanism for
achieving class parity--and I think it has been clearly established that it
is darn hard to do, so as it is. Using the aforementioned Gee Stock example,
the Type R would be a TOTAL overdog without allowing some level of
modification so that others in the class could try to achieve some level of
parity (Mssrs. Endicott, Bauer and others notwithstanding ;->). Moving it to
Dog Stock wouldn't make the situation much better, either.

Ross Fortini
Mod-boy-in-waiting

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html