Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:49:39 -0700
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> Scott Meyers wrote:
>
> > Stock - Pure Stock. Eliminate all modifications currently
> allowed. Class
> > accordingly.
>
> That will make maintaining a Stock-legal car
> _much_more_expensive. Here are a handful of examples:
>
> 1. Exhaust systems. Stock is stock. You gotta go back to the
> dealer to replace your muffler and exhaust pipes. Ever check on
> what that costs? It'll wake you right up.

You mean like the factory replacement Mazda RX-7 cats instead of
aftermarket ones? That is the case in existing Stock right now. Look for
impossible sounding reasons to not do this as you wish, the fact is that
it would be no more expensive to do that than buy the necessary
aftyermarket parts now to be competitive..

It seems that Pep Boys or Checker auto parts might be deemed
equivalent.  Do they carry Porsche parts?  ;-)

> 2. Shocks. Dealer prices are many times what yer basic
> garden-variety shocks go for, and in many cases they're also more
> expensive than the Really Good Stuff. Dealers generally don't
> even keep shocks and exhaust systems in stock, because nobody's
> stupid enough to pay dealer prices for these items. Except the
> poor Pure Stock competitor if Scott gets his way.

Hmmm. "Getting my way."  Interesting way to phrase things. I make a
suggestion for the sake of discussion and all of a sudden I'm *demanding
it be done my way* ?  Naw.

> 3. Brake linings. Dealers get something like twice the going
> rate.
>
> 4. Etc., etc.
>
> What the "pure stock" advocates always miss is that the Stock
> rules were (mostly) set up so that a guy who shows up in a car
> that has had _typical_  non-competition type maintentance for
> several years isn't rendered illegal by the fact that he has
> Monroe shocks or Midas exhaust parts on the car. You can't allow
> for
> this kind of competitor (which I claim you'd damn well better do
> if you want Solo to survive) without also allowing folks to take
> advantage of the exact same allowances to help them go faster.

The "Sky is falling" generic threat that our world will collapse?  "Damn
well"?  Darn well would suffice....

There are many who sample our sport, see "Stock" cars with the fantastic
modifications, and never return.

> Jay "we can't all win, even in Pure Stock" Mitchell

I'm not suggesting that we create a place for everyone to win. I *am*
suggesting that we create a place where the perception of fairness in a
stock setting is stronger, and that everyone has a chance to do well.
Those of us who prepare to the near limit of the rules are a strong
influence on potential competitors.

Don't want to buy the factory or 'allowed" Cheker/other alternatives? Go
to the Street Mod classes.

There may be the need to define a stock-equivalent source for parts.
Maybe not.

Lets discuss.......

Scott

cc's eliminated to avoid double posts.....