Re: Meridian tour speeds

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Meridian tour speeds
From: Benjamin D Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:35:30 +0000
Well, I guess I'm ready to put my opinion out there to be ripped apart by
the team.net faithful.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the course or speets at Meridian. I
ran the first tour there in '99 and this course was much safer than that
one.

Drivers not used to the upper limits of Solo II might have been
uncomfortable. However those upper limits were NOT exceded. The fastest
speed I heard Roger clock on his radar gun was 73 mph for Rich Shafer's
CP Trans Am featuring a 600 hp motor. No matter how fast everyone else
"felt" they were going that was about it except for the full race cars.

Drivers not used to these type courses better plan on doing some
traveling out of region or help local course designers to see the light
about more open courses (assuming the lots can support it).

Locally, we will be using more higher speed slaloms and offsets to get
our competitors used to what they see at national level events. I'm sure
the fun factor will help us attract even more drivers.

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA