Re: Scales at Mid-Div

Subject: Re: Scales at Mid-Div
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:17:21 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Rocky Entriken wrote:
> Well actually there is another quite unrelated bit of sneakiness we practice
> here in MiDiv: We're a friendly bunch of motorheads. And when that stranger
> shows up, we make him our friend. We try to be open, friendly, helpful, fun.
> We want that stranger to have fun too, and thus to come back to play with us
> again. To do such requires being, among other things, honest. We try to
> project that image, to give that stranger confidence in us. MiDiv is the
> friendly division (the road racing side practices that too -- its why we
> have a rep for fun events). Not claiming any copyright on fun, just noting
> that to create a level of confidence it can be done by other, and
> friendlier, means than anal adherence to rules for the sake of adherence.
> That stranger doesn't need to protest me to find out my weight. Hell, I may
> tell him without his even asking!

All this is beside the point.  The damn rule is in the book and its a
pretty "visible" rule.  If you don't wanna do it anyway, fine, but don't
try to bend over backward justifying it with a buncha mumbo-jumbo about
how you're all friendly.  News flash - _every_ autox club feels that way
(usually with good reason).

As a prepared competitor, I like having scales available so that I can
check how much _I_ weigh before I get to Nationals, maybe have time to set
corner weights, etc.

In addition, having all the cars run over the scales is a nice "warm
fuzzy" that everyone's legal.  Most of the time it seems like more of a
chance to poke fun at your overweight buddies vs. check legality anyway
:-)

Mark