Re: Scales at Mid-Div

To: <Quicktime469@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scales at Mid-Div
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:02:16 -0500
<Quicktime469@aol.com wrote:

> While, you may want scales, and from what I am hearing they
will be there, the point to >remember is that SCCA is supposed to
be a group of individuals who are all pursueing a hobby >that
they enjoy.

Expecting the rules to be observed by event organizers is in no
way in conflict with the concept of enjoying a hobby. I enjoy
organizing and competing in Solo II events myself. It doesn't
detract from my enjoyment to comply with the rules. I don't
perceive that as an unreasonable expectation.

> Last years event was exceptionally well run, organized, and
just a lot of fun for all the competitors.

I take no issue with that, nor is it relevant to this discussion.

> A comment like this:  "Is this particular rule special, or are
there any other rules in the book that you just can't be bothered
with?"  doesn't help make an organization better.

It was a direct response to this comment from your Divisional
Steward:

"I suggest that if you or anyone has a problem with how MiDiv
conducts their events, they should download an entry form and
enter the event.  Then, as a competitor they can file a protest
concerning the conduct of the event."

That's not a terrbibly friendly sort of "invitation," and it does
convey the impression - correct or not - that compliance with the
rules isn't very important to that individual.

> Sorry, just felt a need to defend my region.

I'm not attacking your region or anyone else. Dave Whitworth,
responding to a post from another individual who had also pointed
out that scales are required at Divisionals, asked where it said
that. I answered. That's not an attack, it's a statement of fact.

rulebook - I then see a challenge to enter the event and protest
it. I can't help but think that the attitude implicit in that
challenge isn't likely to be particulary effective at attracting
competitors or promoting fun.

Jay