RE: Scales at Mid-Div

To: "'Jay Mitchell'" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Scales at Mid-Div
From: knuckledragger@kcweb.net
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:31:30 -0500
> Yup.  No buttheads allowed.

So, where do you run then?
;<)
===========================
Touche.

> Seriously, we just don't have a problem with cheating here in
the MiDiv.

This isn't about cheating. One of the purposes of Divisional and
Tour events is to prepare competitors for running Nationals. To
that end, the event procedures required are those used at
Nationals. Impounding cars after their runs is one of these
procedures, as is checking P and M cars for compliance with
minimum weights.
============================
And we do that at the Championship (stand alone) Event.  Impound is right in
grid and scales are used to verify weights.  Wheel bases and tracks are
measured.  Our series events impound procedures may seem downright archaic
to you.  We simply raise out hoods and trunk lids right in our grid spots
and competitors are free to give everyone else's car a good once-over.  The
cars usually sit that way for about 10 minutes while we all gab and talk
about the good or bad runs we just had and then the Grid Marshall walks
around and asks each class "Y'all got any problems?  No?  Then you're free
to go."  If there are "problems" then the Protest Chief forms a committee
and the fun starts.

The following is taken directly from the Mid-Div solo website:
"General
    The Series Events are classified as "Divisional Events" (Solo
II Rules,Sec 1.2.I) and shall comply with all requirements of the
SCCA Solo II rules. The Series Events will be conducted as
"Mini-National" events...2 day, 2 course, minimum 3 runs per
course (Sec 7.3) format."

Looks to me like the above passage acknowledges the importance of
following Nationals operating procedures.
=============================
Jay, Jay, Jay.  Why ya gotta go looking for trouble?  We've done fine in
MiDiv for many years and will continue to do so in the future whether or not
we follow every single letter of every single National Solo rule each and
every time or not. I guarantee that there is not one single region out there
that checks, measures or follows every single letter of every rule in the
book.

When was the last time you saw tech checking to see if any competitor was
running their wheels inside out?  Well it's against the rules so I guess
we'd better check for it every time huh.  (3.3.3.C)  How about checking the
fit of each and every entrants helmets?  Yup, that's in there too and in my
books much more important than making sure their helmet isn't outdated by a
year.  (3.3.3.Q)  How about checking if any sick or pregnant entrants have
notes from their doctors saying it's alright for them to compete?  That's in
the book too. (4.1.C)

If we need to drag out the scales we do so.  What's the big deal?

So, if I wanted to attend Nationals this year, I can't qualify to
do so by attending any of your first three events, right? From
what you're saying, it looks to me like only the final one is
intended to function as the Nationals qualifier.
================================
I'm pretty sure all MiDiv Series events qualify but I'm not really sure.  It
doesn't matter to me as I run them all anyway.

> We here in the Midwest Division are more laid back than a lot
of other
> regions and consequently I think we have much more fun because
of it.

Having fun and following the rules are not mutually exclusive.
It's possible to be laid back and follow the rules as well.
And we do quite a good job of it here in the Midwest Division if you ask any
of the participants.  C'mon out Jay, free pizza and beer on Friday night, a
good midwest style feast on Saturday night and we're usually done by 2pm on
Sunday.

Eric (doin' alright in the midwest) Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS
knuckledragger@kcweb.net
ICQ#101282513