Re: Scales at Mid-Div

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>, <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: Re: Scales at Mid-Div
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 13:59:28 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
To: knuckledragger@kcweb.net <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>;
autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Friday, May 11, 2001 10:29 AM

Although earlier acknowledging the rulebook requirement (and the possiblity
the Divisional Solo Steward could waive it), the sentence below promps one
other thought

>Impounding cars after their runs is one of these
>procedures, as is checking P and M cars for compliance with
>minimum weights.

In our Divisional series -- and perhaps somewhat because we are a smaller
Division -- I don't see much need for weighing my competitors. I know who is
likely to be there in my class -- Bill, Bo, Jeff, maybe Dick, remote
possibility of Ron, perhaps some with co-drivers. Mostly I've been running
against these same guys for years, I know them, trust them, have no need to
hassle them. I have seen them be compliant on numerous occasions and have
NEVER seen them fail to be compliant. As an individual competitor, I have no
need to force them to cross a scale. Now if some stranger showed up that we
thought was fishy, and we suspected of being underweight, we could file a
protest and find scales (Sam probably has them with her). But chances are
even if we had a visitor from RMDiv, CenDiv or SWDiv, we'd still be familiar
with him -- and probably know that car had been weight and was legal at
Nationals last year.

It's kinda like we used to have a timed impound rule in our supps. We quit
it largely because the competitors themselves were saying "We're all happy
with each other; why must we stand around for another 20-25 minutes just to
satisfy a supp reg?" Easier done with a Divisional class of 4-10 cars than
with a National class of 20-60 cars.

--Rocky (we don' need no steenkin' scales)