Re: Scales at Mid-Div

To: <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scales at Mid-Div
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:33:03 -0500
knuckledragger@kcweb.net wrote:

> Yup.  No buttheads allowed.

So, where do you run then?
;<)

> Seriously, we just don't have a problem with cheating here in
the MiDiv.

This isn't about cheating. One of the purposes of Divisional and
Tour events is to prepare competitors for running Nationals. To
that end, the event procedures required are those used at
Nationals. Impounding cars after their runs is one of these
procedures, as is checking P and M cars for compliance with
minimum weights.

> Interpretive rules disputes sometimes arise but very very
rarely is there
> blatant cheating.

The following is taken directly from the Mid-Div solo website:

"General

    The Series Events are classified as "Divisional Events" (Solo
II Rules,Sec 1.2.I) and shall comply with all requirements of the
SCCA Solo II rules. The Series Events will be conducted as
"Mini-National" events...2 day, 2 course, minimum 3 runs per
course (Sec 7.3) format."

Looks to me like the above passage acknowledges the importance of
following Nationals operating procedures.

>  Keep in mind that ours is a 4 event series but
> only the last (usually) event is the actual Championship Event.
We award
> trophies for those who participate in the entire series and for
the
> Championship Event (which is simultaneously run as a series and
> stand-alone event) by itself too.  At the Championship event
scales are
> used.

So, if I wanted to attend Nationals this year, I can't qualify to
do so by attending any of your first three events, right? From
what you're saying, it looks to me like only the final one is
intended to function as the Nationals qualifier.

> We here in the Midwest Division are more laid back than a lot
of other
> regions and consequently I think we have much more fun because
of it.

Having fun and following the rules are not mutually exclusive.
It's possible to be laid back and follow the rules as well.

Jay