RE: SM2 at Topeka

To: Rick Brown <rbrown7@covad.net>
Subject: RE: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:22:59 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Rick Brown wrote:
> Well, I'll weigh in on this one.  CP had 65 competitors at the 2000
> Nationals.  The winning time was 103.744 by Jesus Villereal. His margin of
> victory was 0.438 seconds over Ron Vermulm.   The winning BSP time of Ray
> Miller (104.542) would have put him 4th in CP.  The winning ESP time of Bob
> Tunnell (104.964) would also have put him 4th in CP. The second place ESP
> time of Mark Madarash  (88 Trans Am, 106.030) would have been good for 15th
> in CP and a trophy.  Finally, Curt Ormistons SS winning time (106.766)
> would have been good for 17th place in CP and the last trophy position.  Top
> 5 or 10 CP cars built pretty damned well?  Perhaps not.

We'll leave alone that we're only using one event...

1st, you'll notice that the two BSP cars you mention (I'm lumping
Tunnell's car into BSP where it got moved to) have an IRS and ABS
(assuming the ABS wasn't disabled). I personally think that helps a fair
amount at Topeka.  Others may disagree.

2nd, for the top ESP car (again, bumping Bob out) to have finished 15th
supports my contention rather than the reverse.  What you're saying is
that the top ESP car & driver in the country would finished _15th_ in CP.
Guess those top five or ten cars must not totally suck, huh?

> Prepared rules since 1995 allow changing pickup points and modification of
> the chassis and frame without weight penalty to do so.  The potential now is
> there to make a section 15 car more competitive than a crossover race car
> that takes the weight penalty.

I certainly don't dispute this.  That's _why_ I chose to build a tub car
vs. a tube car.

I'm not sure how that proves or indicates that CP is "soft" though.

Whatever, I'm done.  Once again for the record, if CP is so soft, build a
car and come kick all our asses.  You'll find that we'll have a lot of
respect for you if you do, and that we'll be trying to steal ideas off
you pretty much immediately.  :-)

Mark