RE: SM2 at Topeka

Subject: RE: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:54:32 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jeff Winchell wrote:
> M3's don't have an IRS. CP cars can have ABS and IRS.

M3's are live axle rear suspension?  Really?  The ones I've driven sure as
hell had an independent rear suspension.  Is this another one of your
"facts"?

And CP cars (some of them) can have _stock_ ABS.  According to people I've
talked to who should know, stock ABS won't work well with slicks and
prepared suspensions.  I have no idea if this is true or not.  I'm pretty
sure however that none of the top CP cars at nationals have ABS.

> Alas, that's "new" technology and we all know how CP hates that. Just
> one example is the PAC proposal to the SEB to split up the
> backdate/update of SN95 Mustangs which PAC admitted was because of
> CP's not wanting the IRS found in '99+ Mustangs. Not that this will
> change anything. It's cheaper in fact to start out with '02 body in
> white to build a CP Mustang with IRS than it is to use buy and strip
> an existing '94 Mustang V6.

If I was rules god for a day, CP cars in the top 15 at nationals wouldn't
be allowed to have ABS and the non-corvair / DSMs wouldn't be allowed to
have IRS either.  Some of us think rules stability is a good thing.  The
only reason those things are allowed now is that nobody wants to turn away
the local regional guy who welded in subs on his '01 Cobra from CP.

This isn't because I'm "scared of technology" in the immature sense you
like to prattle on about.  Its because I don't see a need to require
competitors to update to new technology for technology's sake.

Strangely enough, it seems like most classes have these sorts of leanings.
For instance, ESP doesn't run slicks, despite them being proven faster.
Are you afraid of rubber?

Mark

(just another CP guy who hates all other classes.  Well, except that I
_run_ a bunch of other classes, help around my home region when I can, try
and help other competitors when I can, and try _not_ to speak badly of
other classes.  Unlike some other people involved in this conversation.)