RE: New Car Classing

To: "Bob Monday" <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>, "autox"
Subject: RE: New Car Classing
From: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:28:01 -0600
> From: Bob Monday [mailto:boysrus_racing@yahoo.com]
>
> I have both a Mini S and a Neon ACR (SOHC). The Mini handles much like
> my 'fixed-up' Neon.

[snippage of good comparison data]

One other thing to mention is the lack of front suspension adjustment for
the Mini.  This drastically negates the full use of the 215/40-16 tires that
folks run on them.  The ACR, OTOH, can get as much camber as it wants.

> There's no doubt that the Mini S will be a good car for GS, but I don't
> think it is a hands-down winner. Depends on who is driving what most of
> the time. Those at the top tend to stay at the top no matter what
> they're driving. Put a bunch of hotshoes in the S and it will look
> pretty good.

And this is the usual perception problem we run into with new cars that are
fun to own ("aspirational" in marketing-speak).  Lots of front-runners flock
to the new car and so it gets a larger-than-life image immediately because
those guys win the early events.  Of course, they'd have won regardless of
what they were driving, but people miss that point.  Witness the base Mini
from last year.  Look at people's perceptions at the beginning of the season
("Oh my God!!") compared to the end (nice mixed finish in HS at Nats with
three varieties of cars).

> Nobody is complaining about the ACR being in GS...

And this still baffles me.  IMHO, the ACR should be quickest car.  Of
course, who would be caught dead driving a freakin' Neon?!?!?   Just
kiddin', Bob...   ;-)

--Andy  "not an official comment"